Monday, October 27, 2008

Miss Bettie

I know, I know... I haven't blogged in ages. I hope you'll forgive me, it's just been a little nutty around here. So. The latest news is that I've had to leave the comfort of my home to go get a job. While most of you know that I do hair on the side to bring in extra money, and just because I love it, this doesn't actually really bring in very much income. Times are hard for a lot of people right now and the bombshell family is no exception. Since Mr. B works in the loan business and that business isn't doing the greatest during this economic season I decided it'd be a great time for me to go out and get a job. So I started the hunt for the perfect salon. Talk about an overwhelming job, weeding through the hundreds of salons in the Portland area. After cutting out all the lease salons I starting thinking about my avalaibility and the schedules most salon owners want you to work. I wanted weekends and evenings off and they want you to work evenings and weekends. I wanted a part time schedule and they want you to work full time. I also have to think about the cost of childcare for miss bombshell in training.
My first idea was to open my own salon with a dear friend. Bombshell Beauty Boutique. I have it all planned out in my mind, and while I know it can happen someday, and really be a successful business... I think now is just not the time to be starting that kind of venture. Namely because I'm broke and it will require more of my time than I'm willing to give right now.
While mulling over all my options I went into the beauty school I graduated from for an amazing facial, I asked one of the instructors who is also a friend of mine, what salons she thought might be good for me to work in. She suggested I just come work at the school. My first reaction to this, was of course, no. But then I started thinking about it.... why not? I love doing hair. I would have evenings off and Sundays, which is close to the schedule I wanted... I love to teach people. And wouldn't I have been so jazzed to see a young knowledgeable instructor at the school when I was going? The more I thought about it the more excited I got and I started working on the childcare details, and then went to apply for the job.
And as you may have guessed I got it! Its really a work/school situation because I have to do 1000 hours of cadet instruction and then take the state test to be an official instructor. Since I'm a former student they offered me free books and tuition plus pay for the times that I am subbing and I was able to negotiate getting paid for all the hours I'm there so I can cover my chilcare costs! So my official instructor title is Miss Bettie, and while my feet and legs are killing me(thanks to that pesky plantar fasciitis) I am loving my new job.

4 comments:

Dave Ketah said...

"Cadet", I love that this word is used as a label for those you are training!

Please enjoy... said...

how cool. i think it will be a good job. congratulations! i'm excited for you.
times are rough, but we will make it!
nice to hear from you again!

Unknown said...

Congrats Colleen! Glad it is going well!

Angie said...

Glad to hear things are going well. I don't feel like I've gotten to actually talk to you in weeks. So I was glad to see you updated your blog.