Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Hot skinny models?

I stumbled across these pictures(see below) yesterday and was thouroughly discusted as to what kind of ideals are being put into our heads by the fashion industry. We all know that many photos for ads or magazine shoots are photoshopped to make them look a little better.
Sometimes I retouch my photos to get out the blemishes or I mess with the lighting qualities to bring out the best in my pictures. I crop them so they look flattering. I don't really think theres much wrong with that. But when I saw these pictures I was first grossed out by the models anorexic appearance(to me she truly looked malnutritioned like I've seen women in Africa who are starving but don't have the paunched belly from bloating).
Not only did they airbrush out her ribs and give her more shape and what appeared to me to be a new waistline, but they shaved a quarter inch off of her body in the photo which apparently is a little over 15% of her waist size so say she has an average model size waist of 24" they are shaving off about 4 inches off her waist so she looks like she's got a 20 inch waist.
The average american womans waist measurement is 35" which is 15 inches more than what she's staring at on the page. 15 inches is approximately 13 sizes bigger in jean size! A 20 inch waist is 2 sizes smaller than a double zero. Now if the average american woman is about a size 18, how fat does she feel staring at two sizes smaller than a double zero? Yet she's average?
Now I'm gonna step out here and say where I live, and the people that are my age range probably wear average size 8-12 which is a 28-31 inch waist. Even at that size you are staring at and comparing yourselves to women 8 to 10 sizes smaller than you! How is this healthy?
Its not like I've been out of it for my whole life or anything. I realize that having a models body is generally unacheiveable and often unhealthy for the general population. I also realize there a small few that are naturally stick thin and no matter what they eat they don't gain weight. However, when I saw these pictures I felt like I got a big dose of reality as to why myself and a lot of other much thinner women are always feeling 'fat and ugly'. When we're shaving inches off already too thin models and a lot of hollywood and the music industry is going though a skeletal phase, its no wonder people are feeling this way.
I decided after looking at these pictures that I still want to lose weight for my own health and comfort, but I am really ok with being 'bigger' if it means that I'm healthy! I don't need or want to look like that to feel pretty.
Anyway, heres the pictures! Take a good look!
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

No comments: