Monday, January 28, 2008

Downcast

Yeah, so today I'm a little discouraged.
I called again to the salon to try and speak with the manager and he's not in today. I think he's probably just really busy but it is really stressful to be turning the corner from wanting a job to needing a job. I was actually really excited after my haircuts. I felt they went really well and though I was a little nervous in the beginning I relaxed quickly and did what I considered to be a really good job on cutting their hair and doing it the way they wanted it done as well! He seemed to be positive about it but didn't give me much feedback either. He was with a client when I left and told me to call him so I did. On his day off the salon called me and said that they needed my address to complete my file which I took as a really good sign(in my mind, why would they need to complete your file if they weren't hiring you). So I've been excited but still calling because I want to hear the official 'you're hired' and also get a start date and what not.
Well, I've been calling for a week now and I haven't heard anything specifically from him, and so today I feel discouraged. Now a week isn't a terribly long time, but when you're calling every day it can feel like an eternity. I really don't want to be harassing the front desk, but I do want to know whats going on. Now he told me to call him. So I am...
I almost wish he'd said he'd call me. So I wouldn't feel like I'm bugging people.
Anyway.. today, after he wasn't in the salon to even talk to and I left a message for the sixth time, I felt scared, worried and discouraged.
Its fine with me if I don't work. I've been there before. But at this point in time I need to work. And I want to work, and this is not just a job for me, its the start of my career path. Now I know... there are other salons. Lots of other salons. But this one seems like the right one for me. From what I've learned in my few years of experience you need to have a good location, like your boss and have a low-drama/stress work environment. From there, the rest is in my hands. I feel like this salon is it.
So the question is... what do I do if I didn't get the job?
Well, I'm probably off to work for Starbucks. Yep. Corperate America. Woo! No, just kidding. I drink starbucks coffee and they treat their employees well. But the truth is... I moved to Oregon partly because I wanted more time with my family and we had that for a few months and if I go work for Starbucks it'll probably mean opposite schedules for Stephen and I which is kind of defeating the purpose.
Anyway, on a good note, I've been working on the boys room today. I'm making them this super cool pirate map and it's close to being finished and I will be taking pics and posting them soon.
Right now, I've got a verse on my mind. "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God. For I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." Psalm 42:5-6a
So I go now. And I will try. To put my hope in God. Because I know that if I don't get this job... he's still gonna take care of me. Because he promises that. And God always keeps his promises.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you put that verse at the end of your blog. I needed to hear that.