Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Suddenly I'm feeling ill...

So this morning I was reading a little snippet in the February issue of Glamour magazine(it replaced a subscription to my beloved Jane which went out of print). It was an article about people doing cool things to make a difference in the world and amongst the praises of those who saved a woman in a runaway car and those who restored sight to a painfully blind iraqi child there was a little piece about Ricky Martin and Guy Jacobson doing their part to fight (here's the stomach churning part) the trafficing of children(were talking as young as 5, maybe younger) as sex slaves/prostitutes. Guy Jacobsen recounted a time when he was in Cambodia and a group of girls(a 5 year old included) surrounded him and grabbed his crotch and propositioned him. When he told them to stop they told him they'd be beaten if they returned home without money.
Reading this turned my stomach and broke my heart. Not just for the children who are forced into being used for sex at such a young age, but for the parents/adults who would sell them into that lifestyle and the adults who patronize that kind of business allowing that kind of atrocity to continue.
Its just a sick cycle. Talking to a friend about this she said the families are so poor they often feel they have no other choice. I just cannot imagine doing that to my kids. I guess I would rather whore myself out than whore out my child, and I don't have ANY desire to whore myself out.
Anyway, I'm seriously going to look into this some more to see if there is any way I might possibly be able to help these girls/this community. I know I'm only one, but you've got to start somewhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very well said.....Maybe it's just another culture that we don't understand but to go that low and sell your children into that kind of life just to make some money is unthinkable. The brokeness of that place is incredible. It also begs another question for me though: does this not happen in our own country? Are we so different?

rachel said...

there is a christian organization that is helping rescue those girls. I can't remember it off the top of my head but i'll research and get back to you.